November is in full swing and the holiday season will be here in the blink of an eye. Do you have family members coming to visit for the holidays? Will you be hosting a dinner party? Is there any travel involved?
Here are five things you can do right now to help you get a headstart on your holiday preparation.
- Develop a budget. It's no secret the bills add up around the holidays when it comes to gift-giving, but, when you add in everything else that comes with the season, it all adds up even more. Be prepared with a budget so you don't spend too much!
- New outfits
- Snacks to have on-hand for long-term guests
- Ingredients for all the meals you'll have to make
- Traveling costs
- Shop ahead and keep a list of what you've purchased. I have a bad habit of seeing something that reminds me of a family member early in the year, purchasing it, then forgetting about it until it's time to wrap. This often results in me over-buying, because I will end up getting said person something else as a gift since I forgot I already purchased them something. Even if it's just a note on your iPhone, keeping a list (and checking it twice) will be super helpful when it comes to shopping. Bonus points if you wrap as you buy!
- Declutter your house and car. One task at a time, easy does it! If you start now, by the time Thanksgiving and Christmas roll around, you should be near clutterless. You may be spending a lot of time in your car traveling, or you may have a lot of guests in your home. Don't wait until the last minute to start cleaning or it will be causing you a lot of extra stress.