Halloween certainly wouldn't be the same without pumpkins!
Carving pumpkins for the holiday is a great family activity but sometimes, for the little ones, it's difficult since it requires sharp objects. That's where the awesome no-carve trend comes in and we just found a style that we can't wait to try.
Here are step-by-step instructions on how to make your very own Unicorn Pumpkin, courtesy of Homey Nutmeg.
- Hot glue gun
- Gorilla glue sticks
- Felt paper (at least two different colors)
- Pastel-colored chalk paint
- Faux fur/ feather boas
- Fake eyelashes
- Baking tray/wax paper
- Plug in the hot glue gun.
- Select your colors for the unicorn.
- Using a brush or a paper towel, paint the pumpkin. Let it dry.
- Check to see if the pumpkin needs another coat, if it does, add another layer of paint. If it doesn’t, proceed to the next step.
- Grab a sheet of felt paper. You’ll need to cut out a large triangle with a slight outward curve for the bottom.
- Make sure that the triangle is wide enough. When you roll the triangle into a cone, it should look like a horn and should be big enough to cover the stem of the pumpkin.
- Once you have cut out the triangle, take the glue gun and place a bead of glue along one edge.
- Take the opposite edge and curve it to make a cone. Then, attach it to the other side with the hot glue and set it aside.
- Sprinkle some glitter onto a baking tray or wax paper.
- Grab your clay and roll it out into a long rope (it should be about a quarter of an inch in diameter). Gently roll the clay on your wax paper or baking tray to cover it in glitter.
- Glue one end of your clay rope on the point of your felt horn and then spiral it down around the horn. To secure the clay on the horn, glue it to the felt with a dot of hot glue every once in a while.
- Place your felt horn on top of the pumpkin and shift it around to make sure that it’s centered.
- Put some dots of hot glue around the base of the horn to attach it to the pumpkin.
- Take your feather boa and wrap it around the base of the horn, cut away the excess and glue it to the bottom. If you bought faux fur, cut a ring sized hole to slip over the horn.
- For the ears, take two sheets of felt paper. Take the first color and cut out a triangle with the edges curving slightly outward. For the second color, cut out a similar shape, but smaller to create the inside of the ear.
- Glue the small piece on top of the big part. Glue the base down on the pumpkin.
- Now for the unicorn’s face, find the three center ridges on the pumpkin and glue the fake eyelashes on the outer two so that the middle ridge looks like a nose.
- Enjoy your cute and stylish creation!